The Lord Of The Rings

Tolkien is by far my favourite author. So I guess it kinda makes sense, my love for his work was what first got me to sew.
The dresses I finally made for my friends and myself are based on the things Ngila Dickson made for the movies, some more, others less.

This one is the oldest one I own: It's Éowyns Green Gown, also called Edoras Stable Gown.
I wore it first at Ring*Con 2005 in Fulda and it was actually one of my first projects. It went through a few changes since it's making and today I would totally use different, more expensive materials, but I'm still pretty pleased with the result.
The wonderful belt was made by my friend Kathy, who's a jeweller, which was incredibly kind of her!
Oh and that picture with Andy Serkis was taken 2007, at Ring*Con. Good old times :-)

Me in the green dress again and my lovely friends Beccy and Leonie in Elvish dresses we designed for them (unfortunately that's the only picture of the blue one I could find right now).
It's very funny to look at these "old" things now, because I have gotten a lot better at sewing since then. Still pretty, though. :-)

Another, more recent, picture of the red dress.

I think this dress is the one I'm the most proud of.
We designed it for her completely from scratch, only using a pattern for the basic dress. We had a hard time finding the right fabrics in the perfect shades of blueish grey and it got finished really last minute, but in the end it turned out so beautiful! The decorative border on the "corset" part we even brought with us from a holiday in Spain... so you see, we were really looking everywhere for the perfect stuff.

Éowyn's Shieldmaiden Gown was the last Middle-Earth dress I made for myself.
You'd think, a simple white gown with a vest and corset would be easy to make... well yes, it is, actually, but I decided I had to hand embroider the vest and corset. All the embroidery is on leather and that's not an easy thing to do. It was lots and lots of work, but it was totally worth it and I would do it again... I think.
I also love the flowy, wide skirt of the dress and the fact that I can actually use my hands, because the sleeves are split! :-)

This tunic is the newest project of the bunch, it was made for Beccy's birthday as a present from Leonie and myself.
Her dresses are both blue, so we decided that at least her tunic had to be proper feanorian red :-P
What you unfortunately can't see in the picture is the silver star of Feanor she also got, which serves as a brooch to close the tunic, but can also be worn as a necklace.


And here just two more pictures we took in the fall, because they're so pretty...

Comments

  1. Hiya! Just stumbled upon your blog via Burdastyle. This is so impressive, you obviously are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just googled Ngila Dickons and came to your blog! Oh, I've always wanted a dress like that, but I really can't sew... That Shieldmaiden Gown you made looked really impressive! Wouldn't it be a dream to have the Green Gown in real, heavy velvet? Anyway, it's inspiring to see people who really can sew and use their talent to make LotR outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is beautiful! I love fashion history and dresses and tunics like this are my Favories. Could you possibly post the patterns for your dresses and the tunic. I am hoping to start LARP (live action role play) and these costumes would be perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm working on making my own version of Eowyn's sheildmaiden gown. What type of material did you use for the underdress/skirt/sleeves? What would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather!
    It is a dress underneath the waistcoat, not just a skirt and sleeves.
    Back when I did my research for this dress, I found out that in the movies the dress is made out of textured silk. I decided against that, not just to cut costs, but mainly because I find it highly unlikely for Éowyn (and the Rohirrim in general) to wear a fabric like that, it just doesn't fit their culture, in my opinion. So instead I used a super simple cotton (basically a canvas) in off-white. If you're willing to spend a little more money, a soft, light linen would be beautiful, too.

    Good luck with your gown, I'd love to see the finished project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for replying! That really helps to give me an idea. This is my very first medieval dress (though I've done plenty of sewing in the past) and I'm super excited to begin working on it. I have a pattern purchased, but I wasn't sure where to begin as far as fabric went. Did you use suede for the waistcoat?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the waistcoat out of a velvet with a short pile; only the corset, the embroidered strips and the cap sleeves are suede. Mainly because I didn't have enough of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts