Graduation Dress Frenzy

My graduation was in June already but I only now got around to posting this.
Pre-graduation was a busy time but somehow I still ended up making a total of 4 graduation dresses! Here's a quick recap on how that happened ;)

I decided to make my own graduation dress pretty early on and I really wanted a retro/50s dress. After a little search I chose Butterick 4919, which is a beautiful pattern from 1952.

img 1


Because I wanted to be able to wear the dress not only this once, I made a knee-lenght version. I always find it hard to find occasions to wear floor-lenght dresses... ;)
I chose two different shades of green dupioni silk for the dress at my new favourite fabric seller, who is actually a wholesaler and has LOADS of fabric because of that. I'm so glad I found this place!

And that's how it turned out! I'm very happy about the outcome and am especially excited that I actually found matching shoes! Yay!

img 1
img 1


Now because my friend Beccy's birthday was about a month before graduation I decided to make her dress as well as a birthday gift for her.
She always loved the regency-like pattern from burda-magazine 12/2007 and so that's the one we chose, with alterations of course.

img 1

She wanted a red dress and finding that fabric was a lot harder than finding mine.
In the end we were lucky enough to find a very soft, dark-red silk and a silver/grey dupioni silk and beautiful red lace to combine it with.

img 1
img 1
Here you can see a close-up of the layered top part. The colours are a bit twisted because it's a scan... sorry.


After word got out that I was sewing dresses for graduation, a lot of girls hinted at wanting one made as well. In the end I relented, at least in the cases of my friends Moa and Anne.

Moa and me chose the Vogue pattern 1014, but found it to be a bit boring in the original.

img 1
So this is the original pattern...

img 1
... and this is a sketch I made of how to alter it. We actually got rid of the sleeves as well as you will see in the the photographs :)
We then picked out two different kind of jerseys, one is slightly more shiny than the other and a black lining fabric to make it less see-through and to darken the blue slightly. The colour of the fabric can actually look totally different, depending on the light, so it was hard to catch the actual colour in the pictures.

img 1
img 1
img 1
I think the colour is closest to this last one...


Now, the last dress I made and which was finished really last minute (one day before graduation) was made from Butterick 4657.

img 1
I didn't change anything here, just made it a little shorter involuntarily because in this pattern the waistline is marked incorrectly. Still looks nice though.
I made the dress out of greenish-blue silk with black chiffon over it. Because the dress is made out of three layers in total (the basic layer, one gathered see-through layer and one layer of interfacing) there are roughly 40 different pattern pieces and some of them have to be cut out multiple times...
By the way, when I cut out the fabric for this dress I stabbed my thigh with my scissors... it almost needed stitches. I couldn't walk properly for days - sewing is dangerous, kids! ;)
I don't have proper pictures of this one yet, so these are only temporary... you can't really see the colour in them and they're not a really good angle either, but better then nothing.


img 1
img 1
I know the two pictures are very similar, but in the first one you can see the colour better and in the second one you get a better view of the gathered top part. I'm sorry for the quality and colours, these are only scans.

And these are just two more pictures I really like! :)

img 1


Well, that's it for now, I'm hoping to post again before I leave for another week of vacation :)

Comments

Popular Posts