How lucky some o'er other some can be...

Another post to reduce the stash of stuff I haven't posted here yet.
This time it's something from the film project "A Midsummernight's Dream" again: Hermia's and Helena's dresses.

img 1


These two dresses belong together design-wise as is quite easy to see. They share a similar shape with the accentuated waist and the a-line skirts.
The two girls share a deep friendship, which I wanted to show with the shape of their dresses, but they are also complete opposites characterwise, shown by the slight differences in the cuts and most of all by the colours.

Hermia's dress is much more flowy and loose than Helena's, thus mirroring her personality. Hermia doesn't have a care in the world, is very naive but also very self-centred and a tiny bit shallow.
In the movie, the more impulsive characters all wear warm colours, mostly shades of red and pink, so the magenta colour of Hermia's dress also puts her in that category.

img 1


img 1


The pattern is based on Burda magazine 05/08. No. 127 and I have used a beautiful magenta cotton-blend for the dress. The waist is handembroidered with little roses and we chose matching jewellery to wear for her.

img 1


Contrary to Hermia, Helena is always trying to be as responsible as posssible and is generally a lot more grown-up than her friend. She compromises a lot, making it easy to walk over her, as she seldomly stands up for herself.
Cold colours, like Helena's blue, are worn by the more settled, reserved characters in the story.

img 1


img 1


The pattern I used is Burda magazine 11/07, no. 112, made with bright blue cotton. The jacket I wear with the dress in the movie was made from some Burda pattern I bought, I can't find the number now, though. It's white denim with light blue lining.
The waist is handembroidered here as well and I have matching earrings and a matching necklace to the flowers on it.

img 1

Two more down and I still have so much more left, not only from the movie...

P.S.: The layout of the post editing thingy has been mean to me today. I hope it worked out in the end...

Comments

Popular Posts