Saturday, August 13, 2011

All this stuff keeps happening! (and also a new project)

Right after my last post I decided to try and blog more often. Alas, I was very unsuccessful with that. So much stuff has come along!
Before I start into just WHAT has been happening, for those of you not interested: there is a new project (surprise! It's a dress!) towards the end :)

Sooooooo... First, I got a really cool comission for a sequin outfit from the wonderful Oscar Loya, who is a singer/performer some of you might know from the Eurovision Song Contest a few years back. I'm hoping to get some pictures of the outfit soon, so I can share them with you!
So that was kind of awesome. And now, I have a job as the costume designer for a short film. Yep, that's right. My first job in the field I want to work in, before I have even started my education. Granted, it's unpaid, as it is the director's final project for her photography/film studies, but it's a great experience and lots of fun (and also a bit stressful, but who cares). I'm really looking forward to filming next week!
If the director ever posts the film on her website, I will post the link here, of course.
On last thing before I post another project that has been waiting to be showcased here for a while:
Remember my hat that goes with the Victorian Day Dress? I wore that hat to the race track one day, when I went there for an event my boss from the costume rental was a part of. Somebody asked to take pictures of me with the hat and now look here:

I'm on their homepage and on the flyers and posters for the next event :) My hat is THAT awesome.
Enough about why I'm not posting, I have another dress to show off.

For my friend Beccy's birthday I made her dress no. 120 out of burdastyle magazine 07/2010. I loved the dress as soon as I saw it, but I knew it wouldn't suit me at all, but that she would look gorgeous in it.

img 1


For the version I made for her I used a stretchty greyish-lightblueish fabric and the bodice part is almost the same colour in a cotton satin.

img 1


Also, I think this dress started my piping addiction... ;)

img 1


When I first gave her the dress it was quite a bit too tight (and Beccy is already so very slender!), so I guess the sizing is a bit off. Just in case any of you plan on working with this pattern. Changing it wasn't too big a problem, though, I just put in triangular pieces at the sides of the bodice to make it a bit wider.

img 1


Other than that the gift was a huge success as Beccy loves the dress. Right after she unwrapped it, she called it a "princess dress" :)

For those of you who actually kept reading all the way to here:
I'm trying to figure out what else (besides posting projects) to do with my blog. Any suggestions? What would you like to see here? It's totally okay to say "Just keep doing what you're doing, we don't want to know anything about your life!" ;)

2 comments: