Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Oh my! Put some clothes on!

... or not, because underwear can also be very pretty ;)
I promised you pictures of my 18th century underthings over 2 weeks ago and I hang my head in shame, that I haven't posted them earlier. I thought I would take the pictures as soon as I have my wig, but alas, by an unfortunate turn of events, I don't have it yet. So you'll have to make do with the sort of rococo-ish updo I did with my own hair and my trusty friend, the hairpiece.

Let's start from the bottom up, shall we?
With my victorian outfit, I never took a photo of just the chemise. And this time around I also almost forgot and did it really last minute (as you can see by my already undone hair and removed make-up and general tiredness). But there you go: First layer, chemise.

Next up, the corset. You've already seen it, but these pictures are prettier AND I have good news! I actually laced it properly and now it fits better and doesn't overlap at the top anymore! Yay! I feel so stupid now, for listening to Simplicity's lacing instructions, when I actually knew how to lace 18th century stays in a "historically correct" way (with just one string instead of two) and I just didn't put that knowledge to use. Duh.

There you go, front, back and side views. In the side view you can see nicely how the corset shapes the rococo silhouette with the flat chest.
Also, I think this is the point where I should tell you that, if any of you ever plan to use Simplicity 3635 and 3637 together (as you were clearly meant to do in my opinion), well... be careful. I was never planning to use the dress pattern exactly as it is, I almost never do that, but I wasn't confident enough to tackle the project without one (turns out I would have been able to, but whatever).
Thankfully I approached this project the same way as the victorian outfit: underwear first, then we'll see about the measurements.
With the victorian dress it didn't make too much of a difference but it definitely did with this one.
While my chest is (obviously) flattened and therefor a size smaller than it would usually be, the corset doesn't really pull my waist in, so with the added thick layer of fabric and steelband it's actually almost a size bigger than my usual size.
And that doesn't really work with the Simplicity pattern, because the dress is made in normal clothes' sizes. So now I can have fun redrafting the pattern so it actually fits over the corset. Woohoo!
Now let's see some details:

A close-up, so you can see the prettypretty fabric and the bow on the shoulder stays.

Next up, the pockets. I didn't want to do these at first, but I fell in love with the idea to have this hidden spot to stash your things. Considering they're completely hidden I put way to much work into them of course, and embroidered them. But they look nice :)

Now, let me introduce you to my newest housemate. It certainly takes up just as much space...

img 1

img 1

img 1

Front, back and side again. I LOVE my hoop skirt. It's surprisingly fun to wear even though I don't fit through doors with it. I need a versaille-esque castle, please.
But seriously, it takes up so much space. I don't really know where to put that thing.
And now, last but not least: my shoes. You have probably seen glimpses of them in the pictures already, but here they are in all their glory.

img 1

img 1

When I first planned this project I also immediately thought about where to get my shoes. Then I did some research and was very sad when I saw how incredibly expensive all kinds of historic footwear are and that they simply wouldn't fit my budget (which is basically non-existent). And then, some days later I was in the city and just browsing through a shoe store when I saw these

img 1

And I immediately thought "Hmm... the basic shape kinda looks like... awesome!" So with just a little left over fabric from my corset, a bit of ribbon and gold paint and lots of burns from my hot glue I got pretty cool shoes for about 20€. Neat, isn't it?

This post was epic, I hope you appreciate it ;) See you at an indefinite point in the relatively near future!

4 comments:

  1. How fun!!! Everything is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous Sarah, I am in awe!! I am thinking of my project for next year, was looking at early Victorian or Elizabethan.. but the detail of this! I just LOVE that corset and the hoop... I may have to do a little more research at other centuries. Can't wait to see more pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do exquisite work!!

    First thing I thought of when you said the hoop skirt takes up so much room is to suspend it from hooks in the ceiling and drop a lightbulb in the center (Ikea would have those bulb sockets on a long cord you can use). :-) year round use ....

    Someone "pinned" your Burda post over at Pinterest.com and that's how I found your blog. So happy I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah, I saw your post on Artemesia's blog about not being able to answer your own blogposts, and I had the same problem. I fixed it by logging out of blogger, then logging in and unchecking the "stay logged in' checkbox. It is fine now. It does mean I have to log in every time I open it, but it works. I don't know why Blogger is being a pain like this but I hope this tip helps you :)
    Fabulous undies by the way!

    ReplyDelete