Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Harness

Oftentimes I'm not exactly thrilled with a lot of the projects we have to do for school, but I love this particular one! We had one day to create a leather accessory and their suggestion was to do a harness. I love those (I'm somewhat into Steampunk which probably comes with my love for all things Victorian) so I was super happy! And I think the final product turned out really well, too.





How do you like it? I'm thinking of making a couple more of these harnesses, maybe even selling them on etsy... thoughts?

Thursday, October 11, 2012

SO MANY!

I'm super super busy right now with things for school, but I wanted to share this beast with you before it gets contained.
The picture is really bad, but what you can see right here is going to be burdastyle's Larissa jacket.


I made life hard for myself once again by deciding to do a patchwork lining (you can see the two colours on the right) but sometimes I just can't stop myself with these ideas.
The pattern already has over 20 pieces and hacking up the lining into smaller areas added some more and of course most pieces are needed more than once. Also, I'll use a thermo-layer in between outer fabric and lining and then there's always interfacing. So all in all, I was cutting out for four hours (!) today and ended up having about 100 separate pieces.

Oh my God.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Swimming with glee

So you might have caught on to the fact that I love the TV show Glee. It just lifts my mood.
Last season the girls were wearing these georgous retro bathing suits and I noticed how similar burdastyle's Alison pattern was to those.


And so the idea was born to sew a bathing suit.
I heard quite a bit of critique for the Alison pattern so I made a test piece. It turns out I only had to lengthen the torso a bit and everything was dandy.


It's bathing suit fabric obviously, apart from the stripy part, I couldn't find bathing suit fabric in this pattern and colours. So I doubled white lycra and striped viscose jersey. It takes a little longer to dry but other than that it's perfect, not see through or anything.


My little changes to the pattern were making the "legs" even more low cut and leaving out the back strap. That's perfect for a beach and splashing around bathing suit, but for one I wanted to swim a lot in, I would keep the back strap for stability.


I love my new bathing suit! And for all of you wanting to try the Alison pattern, don't get scared by the confused or displeased voices on the burda-forums. The instructions aren't great (but Isabelle has some great ones on her blog!), but it's not really a hard pattern to make and as for the fit, I only had to elongate the torso a few centimeters. I you make a test piece out of some jersey leftovers you should be fine!